Saturday, March 27, 2010




A VTR. This thing is a wrecker on tracks. It was designed with the intention of servicing the M113 personnel carrier. I hated this tracked vehicle. The powertrain configuration was an 8V71 detroit with a transfer and transmission.
You could never extend the boom. I have seen many a use while changing out M113 personnel carrier engines and transmissions. I prefer the 800 series 5 ton wrecker any day.
I remember one day while stationed in Hanau, Germany. We were conducting field training at a site called Campo pond. I was leaning on a steel guard rail and noticed a vibrating that startled the hell out of me. I jumped off and looked down the length of the rail. This VTR was chewing off that same rail. the driver was oblivious.

By the time I got him off that guard rail he must have eaten 40 foot.

The Venerable M151A1 Jeep.

I must of replaced more than my share of engines and transmissions in these things. As far as transportation they weren't designed for the soldier in mind. Combat gear always competed for room. Always cold and wet. Developers and the Army had better opinions.
Steering those at a breakneck speed of 45 MPH on the Autobahn was always a touchy thing. I remember when convoys were conducted. A long line of slow moving trucks would clog up the Autobahn. In an Army convoy there was always a jeep in the front and usually one at the rear with a radio. I always felt sorry whenever one of the Germans plowed into and killed the commander and driver of this little M151A1 Jeep. They never had a chance. On this type of vehicle I first learned how to time a gas engine. Learned how to bend pushrods as well. By the time I built up some experience after those two years were up I could swap out the engine with a new one under an hour and fifteen minutes with another good mechanic.
My unit fought to keep one of the last remaining M151A1 jeeps in Europe. I would go with a buddy of mine and gauge weapons from Kaserne to Kaserne. We never seen any more of these on the Autobahn. Just ours. A Kaserne is a Military post. A maintenance unit had to gauge weapons in all units it was responsible for. Verifying the serviceability of each M16, M2 50 cal and M60 machine gun. You name it.