Monday, February 15, 2010

Maintenance and little old ladies.


It really gets my hackles up when a little old lady takes a car in for a tuneup. Many businesses are honest basing their being in business on honesty and integrity.
An associate who owned a nice running car was told she had leaks. Expensive repairs had to be made. She called me and explained the details. "Hogwash" I told her the only thing they want to tune up is their wallet. I told her to deny the estimate. Get a large piece of cardboard and place it where she parks at night and observe daily. That was three years ago and if that cardboard was still around there still would be no oil.
The same applied with a Honda Accord. I took it in years back to have the Air conditioning serviced. They stated I needed another Air compressor and a receiver dryer for $1400.00 It got serviced alright, more on that later.
I got called by them concerning a "problem" noticed. the Air conditioning compressor kept cutting on and off.
I received a second opinion from Honda. They told me that the Air conditioning system was way over pressurized with refrigerant. It would cause the high pressure protection switch to cut out the compressor. That's the servicing I received.
I was pretty close to going over to that business and kicking some old ladies ass. They knew I was coming back and already had my refund printed out and cash on hand. Can you imagine that?
Since then I learned alot when it comes to Air conditioning.
Maintenance for John Q Public can be uncharted territory. Having one by the gonads is no reason to rip you off. If they replace parts demand the old parts pack. Research the business before going. Make sure you get a second opinion if you need it. Businesses are built on reputation. If in doubt refuse the work.
Ripping off old ladies is a crime. If you are in the business of doing it they could have relatives..