Saturday, February 13, 2010

Passing the Common Sense Test

When I was in the Army some of us used the term passing the common sense test. Does it pass the common sense test?
The carryover into the real world. (outside of the Army).
Examples:
"My engineering degree never taught me to be a plumber" Hmm, Let me mull over this one a bit. No your engineering degree never did teach you how to be a plumber and I agree. However owning a house and fixing your own toilets, tightening water feed lines, Insulating exposed Water spickets to protect copper lines from ice expansion.
Learn how to locate and shut off hot water and cold water valves going to bathrooms, to the basement. Get some copper pipe and fittings. Some silver solder, flux and a torch and practice soldering. It will pay off in the long run. Trust me when you hear contemporaries complain about the high cost of a plumber visiting you will appreciate it.
Going to Home Depot and getting PVC pipe and a hacksaw to repair a condensate line for your Air conditioning system evaporator.
With PVC and PVC glue you can repair the damn thing with little cost. the internet is chock full of knowledge yet people can't get past theory into hands on.
College or any school for that matter probable never taught anyone how to be a homeowner. As a blue collar working man you are going to make a living for us.
Thank god my dad worked the snot out of us kids. Sometimes he didn't show me he made me do it. Those skills passed right on along to the next generation. Me.